Tuesday, February 13, 2007

myspace junkie

I've become a myspace junkie.


I hate to even admit it. I feel like I'm giving in to some greater force that I've always seemed to be able to sidestep. But in checking it out, I'm suddenly in touch with about a dozen people that I haven't seen since my early twenties. There were so many of us back then, travelling in packs, like a thousand circles on a pond. Now we're all spread out all over the country and everyone's story is different but I keep getting little messages throughout the day from this person or that. It's like being in a bar in your hometown during a holiday when every time you turn your head you're taken back a decade and a half. It's been a long time since I've put myself there.



There's one person still fixing Volkswagon buses. Another is working on the set of Law & Order. One beauty just performed in a local show of the Vagina Monologues. One is a DJ in New York City half the time and in San Fran the other half. Several are still playing in bands somewhere or other. One just finished her degree in Colorodo and she and her daughter, who is exactly two full moons older than mine, will be visiting the East Coast this spring.



We travelled together, she and I, the summer before we both got pregnant. I flew out to Oregon where she was living at the time and we hitchhiked up and down the coast. Spent some time with EarthFirst in the Oregon mountains, defending the madrone trees and the habitats of little creatures, digging trenches to keep the dozers out and building tripods where copters could otherwise land to kick our asses out of the forest. We walked the streets of San Fran for a week or so, drinking real Chai tea from small, hole-in-the-wall Greek restaraunts, and climbing the hills to eat real Chinese food in Chinatown. If you ever get there, check out the House of Nan King. We spent a night in the Redwoods on the Pacific coast during the absolute blackness of a new moon, exploring the magnificence with our hands and our noses.



I keep getting messages saying So and so would like to be your "friend"..... and I think to myself, honey, you have been now for some time.



If I played connect the dots with all our geographic locations now, I wonder what kind of image it might construct.

1 comment:

p said...

A good writer makes anything sound good. I personally loathe searching for bodies from the past no matter how much I enjoyed them. You make it sound nice, even though I would still cringe if someone I was buddies with looked me up. Enjoy myspace...you'll be U-Tubing b4 we know it!